Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Home is Where the Heart is

1house

noun, often attributive \ˈhaus

1: a building that serves as living quarters for one or a few families :
2a (1) : a shelter or refuge (as a nest or den) of a wild animal (2) : a natural covering (as a test or shell) that encloses and protects an animal or a colony of zooids b : a building in which something is housed <a carriage house>

1home

noun \ˈhōm\
1a : one's place of residence : domicile b : house
2: the social unit formed by a family living together
3a : a familiar or usual setting : congenial environment; also : the focus of one's domestic attention <home is where the heart is>
    


     Notice; a house is a building or structure in which one lives, a home is a social unit. A house can look like anything, a metal building, wood, brick, or stone. We are not defined by the way a structure looks like on the outside, but by the structure on the inside.
     I have been having a slightly difficult time with moving into a trailer. As a mom, I do want what's best for my children. Ideally, I would love to have a three or four bedroom brick home, but for now this will have to do. Then I realize, my children are warm, they are dry, and they are safe from the elements of nature. My house is not defined by the way it looks, who's lived here before, or even the location of the property. My home is defined by what goes on in the inside. Am I teaching my children what it is like to have a close family? Am I teaching them that we can make it through any type of obstacles, as long as we have each other? Are they seeing, that even though we may struggle and have rough times, that we still love one another more than anything?
     I love the old saying "Home is where the heart is" because it is so true, on so many levels. Home IS where the heart is, no matter where you are physically, you can turn any "house", or structure, into a home. When your heart is in it for the long haul, through good times and bad, a cardboard box could be a home if it had to be. Making that conscious decision to fight through the unlikeable and yucky moments, is most certainly something worth building a home for.
     I am learning many things on this journey that God is taking me on. I am very goal oriented to turning this silly house into an amazing home...

No comments:

Post a Comment