Thursday, January 20, 2011

Peanut Butter or Jelly?

     Peanut Butter or Jelly? Ham or the Cheese? Ever feel like you're sandwiched in between something? I do.
     In this whirlwind of life with school, doctors appointments, t-ball practice or games, anything that goes on in life, and yet in the middle of two pieces of bread. Parents and kids.
     It's called the sandwich generation... Where as two young adults, try to battle with children and their parents. Aging parents are like children, they need your attention just like your own child. I'm starting to think that I'm raising 12 children instead of 3. This is including Derrick's parents. I understand that as we get older our bodies and minds deteriorate and we become children again. It's just a lot to balance. Between taking this parent here, or getting that parent from there, it puts a strain on a relationship. This is what we are dealing with, and if you're not already, then get ready. It wears on me because I see the stress that Derrick is going through on a daily basis, having to worry about what his parents need. They call all day needing something. Now don't get me wrong, I'm so glad that he can be there for them and help, and especially having the willingness to want to do it, I admire. But, where's time for our family? I dislike not being able to see him or the children not being able to, because he is gone.
      Then I wonder about me. Where are my priorities? Am I giving time to where it's needed? Am I spending enough time with my children, or are they playing with each other most of the time? The answer is: needs improvement. I find myself wondering a lot lately about how things that are going on in my life correlate to what goes on with my relationship with God. Am I that sandwiched between life, that I'm not making time for Him? Yes. And we can all make excuses. We're too busy, or I need more hours in the day. We've all done it, I'm definitely to blame. God wants us to be sandwiched in Him. He's the Jelly, all the sweet, juicy things in life. We're the peanut butter, the sticky mess that is full of nuts and impurities.
      Did Jesus get so involved in life that He didn't make time for His own Father? No. I'm sure Jesus had His sandwich moments. Being stuck in the wilderness being tempted by the Devil. If that's not sandwiched, I don't know what is. He was stuck, not eating nor drinking anything for forty days. He was sandwiched between doing what was right, or choosing to do what was wrong.
     We are all just like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. What will you do to keep from getting stuck?
      James 1: 2-4
Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment